May 29, 2024, 04:12:56 am

Author Topic: THE BEST Anti-Xray Idea  (Read 12673 times)

Chipaton

• Young One
    • View Profile
Re: THE BEST Anti-Xray Idea
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 09:23:28 pm »
That causes to much lag for the entire server I think.

Xeadin

• Board Gamer
  • Champion Member
  • dip dip dip dip dip
    • View Profile
    • @Xeadin
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 10:12:54 pm »
We don't want anything that costs too much resources on the server. I think that the idea chief might be the best option since it has minimal impact on the server's resources and has a fairly good success rate-- we are not completely certain, though. We'll have to give it a trial run first before we come to any definitive conclusions.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 02:11:32 am »
Nick, the developer of the plugin designed the default values to be a bit higher than what a legit player would mine on average when strip mining (which is the fastest legit way to get ores). What you encountered was one of the rare occasions. That does not happen that much, but while I don't know the preset limits, you probably would have mined them all, but if you were to hit any more diamonds, then you would have gotten the message.

Also note that the developer clearly states on his page that the plugin ALLOWS for SOME X-raying. Players can get away with xray with this plugin, but only to a certain point. Sure Nick, you would have tripped the plugin for finding that many diamonds MAYBE (because you got very lucky in a somewhat rare case, and if that case is not rare then it's probably already accounted for in the default settings). However any player that trips the plugin just has a mod+ take a quick look, and if the tunnels look legit then it's all good, otherwise it would be obvious if the player was using Xray therefore the player, if cheating, then gets banned.

But then again, if strip mining 4 sets of diamonds is fairly common, then I am sure the developer, with user input, would have modified the plugin as such to accomodate that as the developer on the dev page does ask for users to post about suggested ore settings which are eventually set as the defaults for the plugin by the developer. So the defaults are the way they are because other server owners have recommended those values for the defaults. Chances are they are right on, or very close.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:53:17 am by Chief149 »

Best griefer name ^

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 04:17:13 am »
it's not open source.

this plugin would only be nice if we could modify it to warn us of xrayers via helpop as they exceed their "budget" so staff could come take a look (and potentially reset their budget if they were legit). waiting for players to say "omg why cant i mine dis" is just stupid.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 01:48:16 pm »
If a player says "wai cnt i mien dis" then a mod just tp's to the player, and 99% of the time the tunnels will be "xray" tunnels, and then the player gets perma-banned.

Meanwhile all of the normal players will just go about their mining expedition, and their mining rate won't go higher than what the plugin would allow as they wouldn't be cheating, unless they got incredibly lucky.

Also it might be possible that the plugin writer didn't obfuscate his code. If that's the case we could reverse engineer the code as Java is easy as hell to decompile. Don't ask me though, I don't know shit about reverse engineering code.

Best griefer name ^

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 08:24:14 pm »
Also it might be possible that the plugin writer didn't obfuscate his code. If that's the case we could reverse engineer the code as Java is easy as hell to decompile. Don't ask me though, I don't know shit about reverse engineering code.
You should know enough about it to know that it is illegal.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 09:37:23 pm »

Decompiling another person's code isn't illegal unless they have a copyright on their code (I didn't notice any sort of legal copyright on the dev page but I didnt look that hard). Illegal, probably not. Unethical, definitely.

Now I understand the whole idea of not being able to do a /helpop, but here is an idea that, for the most part, PREVENTS xray without an extremely expensive cpu overhead. Other plugins such as block percentage plugins do nothing but show possible XRay AFTER it happens, and after the ores are removed from the ground. This one catches the Xray users, and if mods get a user complaining about not being able to mine ores, then chances are that user is Xraying (the mod+ can find that out by teleporting to the user and looking at the mining cave/path). Basically you're turning down a perfectly good anti-xray plugin that is better than any I have yet to see, and all because it doesn't automatically do a /helpop ticket.

Best griefer name ^

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 11:07:32 pm »

Decompiling another person's code isn't illegal unless they have a copyright on their code (I didn't notice any sort of legal copyright on the dev page but I didnt look that hard). Illegal, probably not. Unethical, definitely.
This is absolutely FALSE. Anything you produce yourself is automatically copyrighted to you and you can choose to put your name and date it if you want.

I am absolutely shocked that you are a coder, yet you do not know copyright laws.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Sir_Toby_7

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 11:38:46 pm »
just go to a country where copyright laws are thrown out the window... hehe... problem solved...

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 11:39:50 pm »
Ok, you corrected me there (you didn't have to include the insult at the end of the post tho). I thought you had to register to get a copyright.

Getting back on subject, the plugin solves a big problem, and only has a minor issue (the lack of an automatic ticket maker when a player empties their quota).

Best griefer name ^

D00MKNlGHT

• I don't always kill, if I do it's because u stare
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 12:49:28 am »
Why don't u just ask the dev for perm to use code? XD
By the way I removed my post, your post made mine look stupid haha.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 01:56:50 am »
To be honest, I wish Optical would give his opinion. Even without an automatic ticket maker this plugin is pure beauty!

Best griefer name ^

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 02:11:56 am »
Now I understand the whole idea of not being able to do a /helpop, but here is an idea that, for the most part, PREVENTS xray without an extremely expensive cpu overhead. Other plugins such as block percentage plugins do nothing but show possible XRay AFTER it happens, and after the ores are removed from the ground. This one catches the Xray users, and if mods get a user complaining about not being able to mine ores, then chances are that user is Xraying (the mod+ can find that out by teleporting to the user and looking at the mining cave/path). Basically you're turning down a perfectly good anti-xray plugin that is better than any I have yet to see, and all because it doesn't automatically do a /helpop ticket.

it's not JUST the fact that we can't add a little /helpop ticket when the plugin is triggered. the fact that it is not an open source plugin is worrisome enough.

we'd be at the discretion of the author alone to wait for updates.

there's no telling what kind of code is actually in the darn plugin. it could have a backdoor for all we know.

it could be plain shitty code. most of the random plugin authors have no clue about how threading works or why their code would cause lag, so we simply can't trust random closed-source plugins

--

it's an okay concept and it wouldn't be terribly hard to make our own version with some improvements, but right now PVP as at the top of the priority list. there's no need to push that we use this plugin so heavily; we see the suggestion, the idea has been noted, but we're not just going to download it and throw it on the server.