May 14, 2024, 02:44:51 pm

Author Topic: Monster Spawns  (Read 18621 times)

cschurz

• View Profile
Re: Monster Spawns
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 08:58:41 pm »
having the server use /butcher every few hours would do nothing.

hostile mobs try to spawn every game tick (1/20th of a second) - this means that about 10 seconds after using /butcher, the mob cap is saturated again and monsters will essentially stop spawning until another /butcher is used. the command would need to be used every few minutes for anyone to notice anything (especially slimes)

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 09:02:11 pm »

hostile mobs try to spawn every game tick (1/20th of a second) - this means that about 10 seconds after using /butcher, the mob cap is saturated again and monsters will essentially stop spawning until another /butcher is used. the command would need to be used every few minutes for anyone to notice anything (especially slimes)

Hmmmm....  Well would there maybe be a way to limit how many mobs can exist within a certain radius of a spawner?  I know some of the blaze spawners can get up into the hundreds of mobs around them, lagging the chunk so badly you can't even move.
"I griefed because my dog sat on my mouse and farted!"
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Dark Knight eh?.... I'M BATMAN!!!  ;)

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 09:53:18 pm »

Hmmmm....  Well would there maybe be a way to limit how many mobs can exist within a certain radius of a spawner?  I know some of the blaze spawners can get up into the hundreds of mobs around them, lagging the chunk so badly you can't even move.

i'm not sure if mobs from mob spawners are counted in the mob cap as they aren't spawned naturally.

atdfbttl15

• Either on or trying to be on
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 10:10:54 pm »

i'm not sure if mobs from mob spawners are counted in the mob cap as they aren't spawned naturally.

It can't be as there isn't a limit on how many mobs will spawn from a spawner as long as you get the mobs out of the escape area. This means that you can get 1000 mobs in a single place and still have mob spawns naturally and from the spawner. Normally, hostile mobs will spawn at night as we all know from single player. This mes that mobs will spawn every night a reach the spawn limit.(I'm not even talk about dark areas were mobs spawn even in the morning) But, when the sun rises, they all burn t death. As of 1.2, mobs AI(Artificial Intelegence) is improved and they try to escape from sunlight by running into a lake or hiding under a tree or a mountain. This actually slowed the mobs who die at sunrise and as a consequence of this, mob spawn limit reached. If we are going to use the /butcher command, we should do it every MC(MineCraft) morning and this means every 10 min. As you can imagine, It will ruin the game. But, we can still use it to make more mobs spawn but not as frequent. It won't be so efficient but it is better then nothing. Every 3 hours is a good timing in my opinion.

Sorry for the long post dont be a lazy guy and read it! Jk ;D

Thanks for reading :D

Check it out! ;)

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 10:41:22 pm »

Hmmmm....  Well would there maybe be a way to limit how many mobs can exist within a certain radius of a spawner?  I know some of the blaze spawners can get up into the hundreds of mobs around them, lagging the chunk so badly you can't even move.

It can't be as there isn't a limit on how many mobs will spawn from a spawner as long as you get the mobs out of the escape area. This means that you can get 1000 mobs in a single place and still have mob spawns naturally and from the spawner. Normally, hostile mobs will spawn at night as we all know from single player. This mes that mobs will spawn every night a reach the spawn limit.(I'm not even talk about dark areas were mobs spawn even in the morning) But, when the sun rises, they all burn t death. As of 1.2, mobs AI(Artificial Intelegence) is improved and they try to escape from sunlight by running into a lake or hiding under a tree or a mountain. This actually slowed the mobs who die at sunrise and as a consequence of this, mob spawn limit reached. If we are going to use the /butcher command, we should do it every MC(MineCraft) morning and this means every 10 min. As you can imagine, It will ruin the game. But, we can still use it to make more mobs spawn but not as frequent. It won't be so efficient but it is better then nothing. Every 3 hours is a good timing in my opinion.

That sounds like a major bug to me...  If spawners can spawn without end, YET those spawns count toward the cap, you can easily have spawners preventing the random spawns from spawning.  That said, you can even cause the death of random spawns, since the spawners can spawn BEYOND the mob limit.  So if your limit is, say 10k, and your spawners have pushed the mobs to 12k, you won't have any new spawns until you kill over 2k worth of mobs...  Even then, those new spawns will probably be eaten up by the spawners.  Only way to get around that is the /butcher command, but as cschurz said, that's only a temporary fix and the cap will max out again in under 10 seconds.

I wonder if there would be a way to maybe slow the tick rate (for mob spawning), or possibly prevent mobs from spawning in vacant chunks?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:42:53 pm by ViperZeroOne »
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Spyow

• View Profile
    • Opticraft! :D
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 10:46:20 pm »

YET those spawns count toward the cap, you can easily have spawners preventing the random spawns from spawning. 
You lost me at the spawns spawning bit :P
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:47:52 pm by _SPW_ »

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 10:49:40 pm »
You lost me at the spawns spawning bit :P

Meh...  I think what I said was pretty clear cut.
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

Zen00

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 10:54:20 pm »
The reason for using /butcher IMHO is not so much about fixing all the issues, but about refreshing the mobs every once and a while, so people in areas with no mobs will have something to challenge them, and mobs that are statically sitting there will be refreshed to be in more useful positions as the location of the player population changes throughout the day.

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 11:03:30 pm »
The reason for using /butcher IMHO is not so much about fixing all the issues, but about refreshing the mobs every once and a while, so people in areas with no mobs will have something to challenge them, and mobs that are statically sitting there will be refreshed to be in more useful positions as the location of the player population changes throughout the day.

Hmmm, that does seem to make sense.  Even if the mobs do cap out in 10 seconds, odds are they would spawn across the map instead of just being focused in certain areas.  I do remember seeing skeletons and creepers in caverns after the last butcher command, but once killed they don't return until someone else issues a /butcher command.  Perhaps just the "refresh" every few hours would be enough to make the spawns seem "fixed"?
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

D00MKNlGHT

• I don't always kill, if I do it's because u stare
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 03:56:01 am »
I think running a /butcher command every hour would be a little much, but having the server automatically run it every 6 to 12 hours might be a good idea.  Even if it's just to clean up improperly setup spawners that are generating massive amounts of mobs when people aren't even using them.

You should be more CONSIDERATE as a moderator, some ppl have pig chicken cow farms, when u use /butcher all their livestock dies!!!
By the way I removed my post, your post made mine look stupid haha.

ViperZeroOne

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 03:58:32 am »
I think running a /butcher command every hour would be a little much, but having the server automatically run it every 6 to 12 hours might be a good idea.  Even if it's just to clean up improperly setup spawners that are generating massive amounts of mobs when people aren't even using them.

You should be more CONSIDERATE as a moderator, some ppl have pig chicken cow farms, when u use /butcher all their livestock dies!!!

What are you talking about?  The butcher command kills HOSTILE mobs, not farm animals.  It's been used SEVERAL times in the past few weeks.  Learn how OUR commands work before you comment please.
- BAN APPEAL DENIED!!

atdfbttl15

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 08:26:40 am »
I dont know actually what it does but did you see the Multiplayer chunk cache in the F3 screen? I think it limits the amount of active chunks(chunks seen by the player) around each player. Since only active chunks have activiy such as spawning, growing etc. the problem will be solved if we make that limit a little bit lower as monsters will always try to spawn in the active chunks and if we make them more less, they will spawn more slowly.

Btw. this multiplayer chunk cache also limits the render distance so if you do your render distance to far, you wont see any fog but a void like thing after the active chunks around you which means the chunks you see.

I used lots of terms sorry for that. If you dont know much about these terms, i suggest you should look to this page:
www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/chunk

Thanks for reading
-atd

Check it out! ;)

ANTIKOYKOY

• -Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 11:26:14 am »
I say auto butcher every 3-4 hours as atd said. Or maybe try to remebmer when did the problem start and then if a new plugin was implemented by that time.. ( i ll blame the herochat :P but i think its before that ). But srsly you should do something even temporary for now.
"Remember that guy who gave up? Neither does anybody else.."

bigbeno37

• We are all born with a purpose in life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 12:32:55 pm »
I say auto butcher every 3-4 hours as atd said. Or maybe try to remebmer when did the problem start and then if a new plugin was implemented by that time.. ( i ll blame the herochat :P but i think its before that ). But srsly you should do something even temporary for now.

Should we do something now and potentially make it worse (or better!) or do we wait for 1.3 to come out so that we get XP for mining ores, smelting items, etc.? I vote for the latter, as it shouldn't be too long until it is released. Just stick with what you have as long as you can.

"We are all born on this planet with a purpose in life," This quote keeps me going during the day, always trying to find that answer.

atdfbttl15

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 01:43:57 pm »

Should we do something now and potentially make it worse (or better!) or do we wait for 1.3 to come out so that we get XP for mining ores, smelting items, etc.? I vote for the latter, as it shouldn't be too long until it is released. Just stick with what you have as long as you can.

MOJANG! JUST FIX THE SLIME SPAWNING PROBLEMS!!! I dont want anything else....

Check it out! ;)