June 16, 2024, 11:50:47 am

Poll

Did you know you can add and modify polls after topics are locked?

Yes
1 (16.7%)
No
5 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Stealing Should be Treated like Griefing  (Read 4061 times)

Zen00

• View Profile
Stealing Should be Treated like Griefing
« on: May 29, 2012, 06:09:23 pm »
Why? Because either way, I'm out x material. Doesn't matter if I placed it or it's still in a chest, someone took/damaged something of mine and is now liable.

Either treat all types of griefing equal, or stop protecting from grief in entirety.

Why am I bringing this up? Someone stole a chest of stone from me and used it to build a "hotel" and is now renting out rooms in it. Looks like crap. It's a box made with the stone I spent hours digging up. They are getting off scott free though because they took it rather than mined it and then took it.

Say they tore down my tower to make that same building. They would have been banned and the damage rolled back. What was the difference here? There is no difference, either way I'm out of x material!

Thievery == Griefing

No if ands or buts about it.

Spamarian

• Top Voter
  • Champion Member
  • YoO0Oo!
    • View Profile
Re: Stealing Should be Treated like Griefing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:13:23 pm »
Now, you will learn next time to lock it.

Zen00

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:15:55 pm »
Thanks for that insightful commentary.  >:(

I will admit that locking does alleviate the issue. However, I have so many chests that I forget at times which are locked and which unlocked for some reason, and that's why this happened, I forgot the chests were unlocked after a community project and started using them for something else.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:20:33 pm by Zen00 »

atdfbttl15

• Either on or trying to be on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:17:19 pm »
Zen, thievery is considered as griefing but if you allow someone to use your chest, then it is your fault. Unless someone steals the items when trading or steals all your stuff when you died, stealing is not griefing. I know it sucks but you shouldnt had allowed that person or removed the lock on that chest. Sorry :(

Check it out! ;)

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:21:11 pm »
Thanks for that insightful commentary.  >:(
He is right. Our policy is lock it or lose it. We give you what you need to keep your materials safe, If you choose not to use it, we are not responsible.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Zen00

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 06:22:12 pm »
The issue here is not about locking chests. What I want to clarify is that stealing is no different from griefing and should be treated as such.

atdfbttl15

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:29:11 pm »
And as a conclusion, go mine with diam. pickaxe for 30 mins, and you got a double chest of cobblestone. It doesnt take hours or days.

His smooth stone is stolen i think that is why it took hours to gather coal. Besides that, i agree with spamarian(BT5 sorry i got used to spamarian)

Check it out! ;)

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 06:31:53 pm »
The issue here is not about locking chests. What I want to clarify is that stealing is no different from griefing and should be treated as such.

The issue here is about locking chests, because if you lock them, people cant steal you stuff.

Zen00

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 06:34:07 pm »
The point I see here in this topic, is not the stealing=griefing....blah blah..

Why are you angry with me? You completely missed the point of my topic it appears.

If you want I'll remove that little quip about community, that's just the title of the project I was working on when I got the stone. I wasn't trying to imply anything. You should probably sit back for a few before posting again. Try thinking before accusing.

Anyways, who else believes that there is no difference between picking up a block someone placed, and taking a block out of a chest someone placed?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:36:54 pm by **BT5** »

Spamarian

• Top Voter
  • Champion Member
  • YoO0Oo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 06:36:12 pm »
Nevermind. I will not post what's the feelings about the post, since I have no negative feelings about you.

Xeadin

• Board Gamer
  • Champion Member
  • dip dip dip dip dip
    • View Profile
    • @Xeadin
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 06:36:46 pm »
A VERY BIG difference. Nick has already stated earlier:

Our policy is lock it or lose it. We give you what you need to keep your materials safe. If you choose not to use it, we are not responsible.

Zen00

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 06:38:45 pm »
Could I get some replies from people other than "LOL LOCK YOUR CHESTS".

I'm asking you to debate on does thieving == griefing.

atdfbttl15

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 06:42:01 pm »
I will admit that locking does alleviate the issue. However, I have so many chests that I forget at times which are locked and which unlocked for some reason, and that's why this happened, I forgot the chests were unlocked after a community project and started using them for something else.

Just a friendly advise, you can use "EDIT:" to show people that you editted the post.  Anyways, maybe you can try to put a sign on them to see which one is locked and which one is not. I agree with you, stealing from chests is a "crime" too but not on this server as you have everything to protect your chests.

I totally not saying: "LOL LOCK YOUR CHESTS" I'm just saying that it is legal to take stuff from people's chests unless it is a donation chest.

Check it out! ;)

Zen00

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 06:44:37 pm »
Still doesn't make it right, even if it's technically legal. Because it's still griefing, and griefing is illegal.

So which is it.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 06:47:09 pm »
If you dont want your stuff stolen, lock your chests, simple as that. No need for people to keep arguing this. Locked.